This We Believe
We have chosen to be middle grades educators, for we recognize that the years of early adolescence are pivotal and abound with individual potential and opportunity. Therefore, we will care for these students personally, listen to their voices, respect their concerns, and engage them in meaningful educational experiences that will prepare them for a promising future.
We believe that every young adolescent …
- Has the capacity to learn, grow, and develop into a knowledgeable, reflective, caring, ethical, and contributing citizen.
- Must have access to the very best programs and practices a school can offer.
- Must be engaged in learning that is relevant, challenging, integrative, and exploratory.
- Faces significant life choices and needs support in making wise and healthy decisions.
- Thrives academically, socially, and emotionally in a democratic learning environment where trust and respect are paramount and where family and community are actively involved.
- Deserves educators who are prepared to work with this age group, who are themselves lifelong learners and committed to their own ongoing professional development and growth.
This information is based on This We Believe: Keys to Educating Young Adolescents (NMSA 2010). For more information visit, www.nmsa.org is based on This We Believe: Keys to Educating Young Adolescents (AMLE 2010). For more information visit us at, www.amle.org.