Coventry High School is located in the scenic and historic community of Coventry, Connecticut. Spread over 37 square miles of woods and old farmlands, the town of 11,500 offers historic sites, herb farms and shops, antique and specialty shops, public beaches and a state boat launch on Lake Wangumbaug, good places to eat, and several cozy bed-and-breakfast inns.
Coventry is the birthplace of Nathan Hale, whose patriotism during the American Revolution distinguishes him as Connecticut’s official State Hero. Visitors from around the world enjoy the Nathan Hale Homestead, an operating museum on the history of the Hale Family. Coventry is the home of the Nathan Hale Ancient Fife & Drums, which performs throughout the East Coast and holds a Colonial Encampment and Muster at the Hale Homestead each July. Other annual events held at the Homestead include Capt. Hales’ birthday party, walking tours, lantern tours, and corn maze adventures.
Near the Hale Homestead is the Strong-Porter House, the early 18th Century farmhouse of Nathan’s maternal ancestors. This museum, with its various outbuildings, features exhibits on local history. The Elias Sprague House, also located nearby, is open for special events. The classic one-room Brick School House on Merrow Road is open to the public seasonally and also by appointment. The newly formed Museum of Connecticut Glass, located in the Coventry Glass Factory National Register Historic District, will be open for special programs.
Coventry boasts many antique and collectable boutiques for your shopping pleasure. With a variety of flea markets, antique centers, and an auction gallery, we offer great opportunities for finding that perfect antique. Coventry is also home to several small art galleries and gift shops throughout town that are sure to be worth exploring.
South Coventry Village, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is significant for its well-preserved houses and early industrial landscape. The buildings reflect a variety of architectural styles, including Colonial, Greek Revival, Italianate, and Queen Ann. Several buildings are adaptively reused as antique centers and specialty stores.
Patriots Park on Lake Wangumbaug provides an excellent area for retreats, with a guarded beach for swimming, a playground, a picnic area, lodge facilities, a new Community Center, and band shell for summer concerts. The Park is also the home of the Coventry Lake Water Ski Team and the UConn Women’s Crew Team. Next door is a boat launch run by the State of Connecticut. The lake is popular for fishing, boating, and water sports. Coventry also has two 18-hole public golf courses.
This district was formed and ground broken for a major portion of our present school building in 1956. Classes started on September 6, 1956. In 1970, an addition was completed which provided the existing technology education wing, the art area, a new library, and an auxiliary gymnasium and locker room facility. In 2001, a second renovation of the high school facility began and was substantially completed in the fall of 2002.
The school colors are green and gold, and our athletic teams are known as the Patriots, in honor of the American patriot - and Coventry native son - Nathan Hale.