Class of 2020
Good Afternoon CHS Class of 2020 Students, Parents, and Families:
Based on the results of the student and parent survey sent out by Dr. Petrone, we will be holding our annual Graduation Commencement at the Mansfield Drive-In on Saturday, June 13th, at 10:00 AM. We are thrilled to be able to offer a live ceremony to celebrate our Class of 2020 while adhering to safety guidelines from the State of Connecticut and in collaboration with our local health officials. Please pay careful attention to the instructions below so that we can have a safe and organized ceremony. These instructions will also be posted on our website.
Prior to Graduation Day:
- You will be receiving you cap and gown on Saturday, June 6th, between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM. Volunteer faculty members will be delivering them to your home! Be very careful not to lose the tassel. They have been known to fall out of the bag easily.
- Once in possession of your Graduation Cap, please feel free to decorate it, keeping in mind to be positive and respectful in any messages you choose to share.
- With your cap and gown delivery, there will be a ticket to the Mansfield Drive-In to admit one car to the ceremony on June 13th at 10:00 AM. You MUST bring your ticket with you to enter. Mansfield Drive-In employees will be staffing the entrance gate to check tickets and admit cars. There are no extra tickets for additional cars, so please do not ask.Cars are limited to passenger cars or SUV’s. Buses, limousines, or large vans will not be admitted. All participants must remain inside a close vehicle at all times, so pickup truck beds are also off limits during the ceremony.
- Also with your cap and gown will be two custom made, limited edition, CHS Class of 2020 Masks for use during the ceremony! One of the masks was generously donated by a member of the Coventry community and one was printed using our 3D printers at CHS.
On Graduation Day:
- Gates for the Mansfield Drive-In will be opened at 9:00 AM The ceremony will begin promptly at 10:00 AM, so please be sure to be on time.
- You will proceed to the ticket booth to show your ticket, which you may keep, and receive a program and carnation for our Carnation Ceremony.
- You will be directed to park facing the stage in front of Screen #1. There is no specific order to park in as students will be called in small groups in alphabetical order to receive their diplomas.
- Tune your radios to 89.3 FM to hear the ceremony.
- We will be holding our traditional graduation ceremony, with speeches from both adults and students, our Carnation Ceremony, distribution of diplomas, and the tassel turn. We will not be able to throw caps in the air at the conclusion due to safety reasons, but there will be a Coventry Police escorted Graduation Parade immediately following the program!
- During the distribution of diplomas, as your name is called please exit your car wearing a mask, move to the right of the cars and proceed up to the right hand side of stage where there will be labelled cones spaced apart to establish a socially distanced line. The class advisor, Mrs. Cryer, will be at the front of the line to make sure students are in order. Each student name will then be called again to proceed across the stage where they will pick up their diploma. A Lifetouch photographer will take their picture as they receive their diploma. Students are permitted to remove their mask for a picture as they exit the stage, but must replace the mask after the picture.
- During the ceremony, no one is permitted to leave their cars unless:
- Their name is called to give a speech.
- Their name is called to receive a diploma.
- They need to use the restroom.
- Anyone leaving their car for any reason must wear a mask at all times and adhere to social distancing guidelines of at least 6 feet of separation.
- The event will be live streamed on YouTube, a video will be posted on our website, and we will have a photographer from Lifetouch taking photographs as each student receives their diploma. Family members are not permitted to leave their cars to take pictures.
- Restrooms are located in the main building of the drive-in and temporary restrooms will be place throughout the parking area.
- Please make sure to check your car battery and gas prior to the ceremony. It will be a lengthy ceremony and air conditioners will likely be needed.
Student Dress Guidelines:
- Males students should wear long pants, no blue jeans.
- Females should refrain from wearing spike heels as we will be on soft, uneven ground.
- No sneakers please.
- Graduation Tassels begin on the right side and move to the left at the end of the ceremony.
Class of 2020 Parade: There will be a Class of 2020 Car Parade immediately after graduation led by the Coventry Police Department. The parade will leave from the Mansfield Drive-In at the conclusion of the Graduation Ceremony. Students are welcome to decorate their cars for the ceremony and parade as long as the decorations do not block the view of the driver or cause a driving hazard.
If your child does not plan to attend the Graduation Ceremony, please email me at email@example.com to let me know so we can make other arrangements to deliver their diploma after the ceremony.
Again, thank you all very much for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times. We look forward to seeing you on June 13th! Go Patriots!
Links for Commencement Ceremony
CoventryBOE Livestream - select CHS Class of 2020 video link
CHS Senior AwardsAward Descriptions
CHS Senior Athletes
Class of 2020 Virtual Graduation Slideshow
Music Booster Awards
Julianna Cargo is one of three recipients of the Coventry High School Music Booster Award. This monetary award is given to graduating seniors who have shown dedication to the music department and have left it a better place. Any graduating senior may apply. Julianna was a member of the Coventry High School Chorus and plans to attend Central Connecticut State College in the fall, studying secondary English education. She also plans to stay active in theatre and volunteer at the Windham Theatre Guild when she can. Congratulations Julianna!
Jacob Krause is one of three recipients of the Coventry High School Music Booster Award. This monetary award is given to graduating seniors who have shown dedication to the music department and have left it a better place. Any graduating senior may apply. Jacob played trumpet in the Coventry High School Band and marched with the band in the 2018 National Memorial Day Parade. Congratulations Jacob!
Allison Sander is one of three recipients of the Coventry High School Music Booster Award. This monetary award is given to graduating seniors who have shown dedication to the music department and have left it a better place. Any graduating senior may apply. Allison played clarinet in the Coventry High School Band and marched with the band in the 2018 National Memorial Day Parade. Congratulations Allison!